Careers at the Y
Lifeguard - Merrimack/Nashua
Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Coordinator, the lifeguard is to provide the safest possible environment for YMCA members and participants in the pool area.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
A lifeguard must have the ability to recognize a hazardous situation. They must be able to supervise swimmers, minimize dangers, educate members about water safety, enforce rules and regulations, prepare records and reports, and give assistance whenever needed.
Part time. Schedule is based on the 7-8 week swim lesson terms.
- Minimum age of 16
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid
- Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding
- Oxygen Administration certification (required within 30 days of hire)
- Ability to maintain certification- level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA or Red Cross standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements necessary for removal from water rescues.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility. Candidates who use corrective eyewear should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, clear, or retrieve corrective eyewear.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Takes responsibility for implementing and supporting the change of policies and procedures.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and state/local Health Department code, including but not limited to: chemical testing, bather loads, accident reports.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed; this includes rescue equipment and well stocked fanny packs and first aid kits.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Be properly dressed and on deck ready to work 10 minutes prior to scheduled start time.
- Responsible for punching in/out for each assigned shift.
- Responsible to keep certifications current. Notify supervisor when they need to be recertified.
- Responsible for securing substitutes to cover scheduled shifts in the case of an absence and document/report coverage to supervisor.
- Inform members and program participants in a professional manner.
- Uses/carries proper equipment at all times (rescue tube, fanny pack with pocket mask and gloves, and whistle).
- Responsible for all information in the Aquatic Manual.
- Adequately react and responds to emergencies or skill audits.
- Ensure the pool is always secure. Wait until properly relieved or the pool is cleared and then follow lockup procedure. Never leave the pool unlocked or unattended.
- Attends all staff meetings and training as required
- Perform other appropriate duties asked by management.
Provides support of Annual Campaign that results in achievement of our annual fund-raising goal through personal asks or special events.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS/STRATEGIC IMPACT
We will provide our members with facilities and programs that meet their needs and positively impact their lives.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (LEADER)
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgements, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.