Careers at the Y
Teacher Assistant - Early Education
Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives and health of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
With the assistance of the Early Learning Director or Assistant Director and supervised in classroom by classroom teachers, assists the early childcare teaching staff with classroom activities and supervision of the children in the Infant, Toddler, Preschool, Pre-K and Kindergarten classrooms. The YMCA of Greater Nashua operates four facilities: Nashua YMCA, Merrimack YMCA, Camp Sargent (day camp), and Westwood Park.
The candidate must have the ability to work with people of all ages in both formal and informal settings, must possess a solution oriented perspective and be flexible and creative, working in a preschool educational setting with a positive, nurturing attitude and to be able to set consistent limits for the children; to represent the YMCA in all aspects of the child care program in a professional and friendly manner.
- Assist classroom teachers by providing positive learning experiences for all the children.
- Maintain appropriate standards as directed by the teachers for children’s behavior using nonpunitive methods which teach self-discipline while supporting children’s self-esteem.
- Provide careful and concentrated supervision of play areas to insure children’s safety and learning.
- Carry out clerical, cleaning and facility maintenance duties as assigned.
- Attend all staff meetings and training sessions.
- Maintain a cooperative relationship with all other staff members, refraining from gossip and other negative communication.
- Interact positively with all parents and refer questions and concerns to the Lead Teacher, as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to act and move fast enough to keep children safe.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Relationships: Builds rapport and relates well to others
- Inclusion: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Innovation: Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
- Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Self-Development: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.