Careers at the Y
Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director, plans, organizes and supervises day to day programs and activities of the aquatic facility within the Nashua Branch. The Aquatics Coordinator is expected to provide leadership, and oversight for various YMCA and community service programs. This position should expect to have some time lifeguarding, teaching and leading classes as well as administrative time, as deemed appropriate by his/her supervisor. Assume the responsibilities of the Aquatics Director in his/her absence.
OUR CULTURE: LEARN, GROW AND THRIVE WITH A CAREER AT THE Y
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. At the YMCA of Greater Nashua it’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day.
We are cause-driven: We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality.
We are hopeful: We believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential.
We are determined: Above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES:
The Aquatics Coordinator must be able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. Candidates should bring to this position the appropriate background of education and experience to contribute and carryout the Association’s goals. Remain current in required and voluntary training in order to promote growth of mind and spirit and character values for all.
- Minimum age of 18
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid
- Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding
- Current YMCA Swim Lesson certification preferred
- Ability to maintain certification- level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA or Red Cross standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements necessary for removal from water rescues.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility. Candidates who use corrective eyewear should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, clear, or retrieve corrective eyewear.
- Provide excellent member service by exceeding member expectations.
- Direct service of lifeguard or swim instructing for at least 35 hours a week.
- Help the aquatics directors with onboarding of new lifeguards and swim instructors.
- Provide coaching and feedback to aquatic staff team to ensure highest quality results.
- Assist swim instructors to ensure classes begin and end on time, attendance is recorded and skills are assessed and level slips/progress reports are distributed.
- Assist the aquatics directors in the inputting of swim lessons, lap lane reservations, and incident reports.
- Helps to plan and facilitate staff trainings at inservices.
- Ensure daily pool maintenance and cleaning responsibilities are accomplished and accurately recorded including but not limited to bather load, chemical reading logs, opening/closing procedures, cleaning checklists.
- Assist the aquatics director in daily upkeep of pool chemicals (chlorine, CO2, media changes etc.)
- Assist with changes to aquatic policies and procedures as deemed appropriate by the Senior Aquatics Director.
Full Time. Schedule is based on pool activities and staffing needs to best serve our YMCA members.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (LEADER)
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with commitment to improving lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides other with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.