Careers at the Y
Swim Instructor - Merrimack/Nashua
Part time. Schedule is based on the 7-8 week swim lesson terms. Weekdays and weekends.
Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director, the swim instructor is to provide the safest possible environment for YMCA members and participants in the pool area while teaching appropriate skills according to the YMCA guidelines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Swim instructors must have the ability to teach a wide range of levels and abilities. They must be able to supervise swimmers, minimize dangers, educate members about water safety, enforce rules and regulations, prepare records and reports, and give assistance whenever needed.
- Minimum age of 16
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid
- Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding Preferred
- YSL or WSI swim lesson certification preferred
- Ability to maintain certification- level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate instructional skills in accordance with YMCA or Red Cross standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Ability to tread water for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Ability to demonstrate proper technique of 4 out of 6 strokes (Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, Freestyle, Sidestroke or Elementary Backstroke).
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements necessary for removal from water rescues.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Be properly dressed and on deck ready to work 10 minutes prior to scheduled start time.
- Ensure the safety of members and participants by enforcing established pool, diving and lap rules.
- Responsible for punching in/out for each assigned shift.
- Responsible to keep certifications current. Notify supervisor when they need to be recertified.
- Responsible for securing substitutes to cover scheduled shifts in the case of an absence and document/report coverage to supervisor.
- Inform members and program participants in a professional manner.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
- Begin and end class on time.
- Take attendance at the beginning of each class.
- Explain pool rules, aquatic policies, and instructional plan to parents and participants.
- Distribute level slips to participants prior to the following session’s registration dates.
- Maintain lesson plans/skill sheets in such a manner that a trained substitute can perform your duties in your absence.
- Keep record of progress, fill out progress reports and distribute on the last day of class.
- Teach according to the YMCA of the USA national guidelines for swimming.
- Responsible for all information in the Aquatic Manual.
- Responsible for setting out and picking up equipment before and after class.
- Stay focused during class, no lounging or socializing.
- Never leave a class unattended.
- Never send a child into the locker room unsupervised. Bathroom breaks should be handled by parent/guardian.
- Ensure each child exits the water and enters the care of a parent/guardian after class.
- Support the lifeguard team in the event of an emergency.
- Perform other appropriate duties asked by management.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.