Careers at the Y
Counselor - Sports Camp at the Westwood Park YMCA
Under the direction of the Association Sports Director, the Camp Counselor is responsible for leading small and large group activities for the full summer of Westwood Park Summer Sports Camp. This position works directly with children ages 6 – 15 years old up to 15 children. This position is directly responsible for the safety and supervision of their assigned group at all times. The candidate should be energetic and have a positive attitude, looking for the best in themselves and in the people around them. They must be able to interact with parents, and represent the YMCA of Greater Nashua in all aspects of YMCA Camp Sargent. They must also be positive and nurturing to children, and should be able to set consistent limits for the children.
Work Season / Hours:
This is a summer seasonal position. Camp hours are between 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. As a Counselor you will be needed during Pre (7-9am)/Post (4-6pm) Camp hours and will work on a rotating schedule to fulfill these hours. NO day off requests will be approved as this is a summer seasonal position.
- Must be at least 17 years of age.
- Must have prior experience in child care, day camp, and/or recreational leadership with children.
- Proven experience in teaching/leading sports activities and the importance of fair play.
- A commitment to working with youth in an outdoor and indoor day camping environment.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Must be able to act and move around the Camp facility fast enough to keep children safe.
- Current Red Cross First Aid and Adult CPR/AED certification
- Attend all pre-season staff training sessions.
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Plan and lead activities with small and large groups according to the daily schedule.
- Provide daily supervision to the program participants.
- Keep the Association Sports Director informed of any concerns and/or behavior issues within the program.
- Keep the Association Sports Director informed about scheduled activities and any changes.
- Maintain a positive relationship with campers, parents, and staff.
- Promote the values of the YMCA by being a positive role model for all campers.
- Keep a “Rainy Day Kit” (cards, coloring books, board games, group games etc.) handy.
- Care for and maintain all camp property and equipment used.
- Promote good personal relationships among campers and camp staff.
- Act as your group’s immediate health care responder for all reasonably anticipated health-care concerns based on the individual, location and activity. Examples: dehydration, scrapes etc.
- All health care supplies are available in the first aid station and it is the responsibility of the employee to ensure they are equipped to handle all reasonable and common injuries.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Relationships: Builds rapport and relates well to others
- Inclusion: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Innovation: Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
- Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Self-Development: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.