Careers at the Y
Sports Program Instructors
Under the direct supervision of the Sports Director, this employee is responsible for our members’ quality experience in our branch facilities. The Sports Program Instructor is expected to implement, conduct and manage sports programs that meet the unique needs of each participant, all while creating an atmosphere of acceptance and community. In addition, as with all staff and volunteers the position is responsible for acting as an ambassador for the YMCA of Greater Nashua, at all times. Classes are on weekday afternoon’s/evenings and weekend mornings. This is a part time position with 20-35 hours per week.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Responsible for leading a variety of traditional and innovative sports programs, ensuring that programs promote the YMCA mission and its values. Examples of but not limited to these are: Summer Camp, leagues, tournaments, special needs groups, one on one athlete training, small- large group athletic/team training, classes, special events etc.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changed situations are essential in this position.
- Effective group management skills
- Establish good rapport with parents and children
- Provide safe and clean environment for children
- Supervise children on a consistent basis
- Helps to expand programs through enrollment growth and new initiatives.
- Adheres to all YMCA of Greater Nashua policies and procedures.
- Serve as a role model of strong character in word and action for members, staff and the community while actively participating in activities, as needed.
- Ensure comprehensive and inclusive activities.
- Ensure that all objectives are met.
- Monitor play (both recreation and competitive) and ensure appropriate behavior is being displayed in accordance to YMCA standards.
- Provide excellent service to members and participants.
- Communicate all YMCA rules and ensure that you are accessible and identifiable.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other community organizations.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the Sports Director and/or Executive Director
- Minimum of 16+ years of age
- Reliable transportation
- A passion for working with children
- A love of sports and the power of play
- A desire to grow in an organization that serves youth and families in its community
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- A general knowledge and interest of (at least) traditional American sports and ability to physically perform the basic functions of these sports. Or, a willingness to learn. Inquire for specific sports pertaining to this particular role.
- Team player with a positive, service-oriented attitude.
- Interested in contributing to the mission of the YMCA.
- Outgoing personality and strong customer service skills.
REQUIRED TRAINING/CERTIFICATIONS (within first 60 days of employment):
- Child Abuse Prevention
- Oxygen Administration, First Aid, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Listen First
- Creating the Member Experience
- New Hire Orientation
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to act and move with quickness and agility to keep children safe.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.