Careers at the Y
Power Scholars Academy - Academic Teacher
Earn an extra $1000 over the course of the summer when you get hired and work throughout the summer. The Summer Bonus is for ALL CAMPS & POWER SCHOLARS ACADEMY positions. This also includes a FREE Y membership.
- The first $500 will be included in the employees first pay of the season
- The second $500 will be included in the employees last pay of the season
COMPARATIVE JOB TITLE(S):
Summer Academic Teacher
Elementary Academic Teacher
Middle School Literacy Teacher
Middle School Math Teacher
POWER SCHOLARS ACADEMY™ PROGRAM (July 5-Aug 5)
The summer learning program is designed to address summer learning loss for low-income children living in urban communities and thereby enhance overall youth development, academic performance, and graduation rates.
JOIN OUR TEAM
Do you believe that all children have extraordinary potential – that all children can be scholars? Do you want to work with educators who share your belief, and who are committed to delivering the best learning experiences possible for the scholars who need them most? Power Scholars Academy is the place for you! Join the YMCA of Greater Nashua in partnership with YUSA’s Power Scholars Academy to teach, enrich, inspire, and transform children into scholars. Work with Power Scholars Academy and change the world, one scholar at a time.
Teach with Power Scholars Academy: We hire certified teachers to deliver our summer curriculum (BELL) or to lead enrichment programs during the summer.
Tutor with Power Scholars Academy: We hire qualified educators, college-students, and community members to support classroom instruction and scholars’ learning experiences.
- Implementing (literacy/math/literacy & math) curricula and activities to meet academic standards
- Utilizing formal assessment data to refine and adapt curriculum lessons and inform instructional practices
- Using BELL curriculum for lesson planning
- Developing daily engaging lesson plans aligned to specific learning objectives
- Delivering relevant, engaging, and rigorous lessons utilizing a variety of instructional methods
- Maintaining an organized and efficient classroom
- Adhering to all Power Scholars Academy and district professional expectations and compliance issues
- Creating a positive, achievement-oriented, organized and engaging learning environment
- Motivating and holding scholars to high academic and behavioral expectations
- Providing consistent rewards and/or consequences for scholar behavior grounded in positive discipline
- Empowering scholars to make positive choices and serving as a role model
- Being accountable for meeting scholars’ individual academic and instructional needs
- Implementing collaborative and co-teaching instructional strategies with Power Scholars Academy tutors
- Communicating effectively with scholars, families, Power Scholars Academy staff, and host school staff
- Compliance with all Power Scholars Academy and/or district professional development requirements
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school with (elementary/middle school/K-8) children
- Valid state (elementary/middle school literacy/middle school math) teaching certification
- Previous and relevant experience in utilizing and implementing data-driven instructional practices
- Experience in the use of technology (computer/internet) for assessment and instruction
- Knowledge of differentiated instructional practices and strategies
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of scholars within their community
- Proven track-record of high achievement in a classroom setting
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for (literacy/math/literacy & math) academic standards and instructional rigor
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Committed to the goals of the program and approach
- Love and respect for children
- Evidence of efficacy and willingness to be a team player
- Belief and commitment to the Y’s mission and values
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Engaging Community
- Developing Self and Others
This is a seasonal position and will not be eligible for benefits.
To apply for this job please visit secure4.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.