Careers at the Y
Power Scholars Academy - Assistant Teacher
Earn an extra $1000 over the course of the summer when you get hired and work throughout the summer. The Summer Bonus is for ALL CAMPS & POWER SCHOLARS ACADEMY positions. This also includes a FREE Y membership.
- The first $500 will be included in the employees first pay of the season
- The second $500 will be included in the employees last pay of the season
COMPARATIVE JOB TITLE(S)
Elementary Assistant Teacher (K-5)
Middle Assistant Teacher (6-8)
POWER SCHOLARS ACADEMY™ PROGRAM (Jul 5 – Aug 5)
The summer learning program is designed to address summer learning loss for low-income children living in urban communities and thereby enhance overall youth development, academic performance, and graduation rates.
JOIN OUR TEAM
Do you believe that all children have extraordinary potential – that all children can be scholars? Do you want to work with educators who share your belief, and who are committed to delivering the best learning experiences possible for the scholars who need them most? Power Scholars Academy is the place for you! Join the YMCA of Greater Nashua in partnership with YUSA’s Power Scholars Academy to teach, enrich, inspire, and transform children into scholars. Work with Power Scholars Academy and change the world, one scholar at a time.
Teach with Power Scholars Academy: We hire certified teachers to deliver our after school and summer curriculum (BELL) or to lead enrichment programs during the summer.
Teach with Power Scholars Academy: We hire qualified educators, college-students, and community members to support classroom instruction and scholars’ learning experiences.
- Implementing collaborative teaching strategies with academic and/or enrichment teachers to a cluster of scholars.
- Supporting the development and delivery of relevant, engaging, and rigorous lessons.
- Ensuring the academic and social development of scholars throughout the course of the program.
- Using the BELL curriculum for lesson planning.
- Serving as a role model for an assigned group of scholars.
- Working with teachers to identify scholar needs and develop instructional plans and practices to best support scholars.
- Monitoring scholars’ educational and social progress and making necessary recommendations for adjustments.
- Supporting classroom and behavior management consistently to develop a safe and productive learning environment.
- Maintaining attendance and supporting classroom procedures/functions.
- Supervising scholars during classroom transitions as well as during lunch, snack, recess, etc.
- Assisting in field trips and special events.
- Academic skills – proficiency in (elementary/middle school) math and literacy.
- Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with diverse populations.
- Desire to work with (elementary/middle school) scholars and their families in under-resourced communities.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and technological (computer/internet) skills.
- Ability to build relationships and influence scholars, staff, community members & families.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Committed to the goals of the program and approach.
- Love and respect for children.
- Evidence of efficacy and willingness to be a team player.
- Belief and commitment to the Y’s mission and values.
- Gain hands-on experience developing and implementing lessons with certified teachers.
- Develop collaborative and co-teaching strategies.
- Utilize data-driven and differentiated instructional techniques.
- Deliver lessons with high-quality and rigorous curriculum.
- Work with experienced staff in implementing positive discipline strategies.
- Engage in best practices to support achievement in under-resourced communities.
- Gain experience relationship building with scholars, staff professionals, and families.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Engaging Community
- Developing Self and Others
This is a seasonal position and will not be eligible for benefits.
To apply for this job please visit secure4.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.