Careers at the Y
Personal Trainer - Merrimack YMCA/Nashua YMCA
Learn, Grow and Thrive with a career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
Under the direct supervision of the Member Engagement and Wellness Director, this employee is responsible for our members’ quality experience in the Wellness Center. The Personal Trainer is expected to conduct consultations, spend time assisting members on the floor, teach group classes and offer personal training programs that meet the unique needs of each member, all while creating an atmosphere of acceptance and community.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Current Red Cross First Aid and Adult CPR/AED certification
- Must hold and maintain personal training certification from a nationally recognized source (ACSM, ACE, NASM, AFAA)
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- This individual must be able to provide physical activity options that promote health and well-being for a wide range people based on their abilities and interests. They must bring to this position experience in wellness, personal training, or group exercise while possessing the skills necessary to listen to, understand and communicate with members ranging from the health-seeker to the more advanced participant. Flexibility and adaptability to changed situations are essential in this position.
- Warmly and enthusiastically greet members through eye contact and with a smile. Anticipate their needs and approach them before they approach you whenever possible.
- Personalize relationship with members by introducing yourself and asking the name of each member with whom you come into contact. Make a point of remembering members’ names and use them frequently. When the opportunity arises, introduce members to other members or to fellow staff. Educate yourself on Y programs outside the wellness center, so you are better able to help answer members’ questions. If questions arise to which you do not know the answer, make sure you are able to point them in the right direction for assistance. Respond to all inquiries and complaints in a timely and courteous manner.
- Engage with members in a way that they feel welcomed and connected to the Y.
- Perform new member goal setting and equipment consultation appointments that emphasize safety and proper technique. Conduct daily wellness center maintenance and cleaning responsibilities as assigned and report any issues to supervisor.
- Ensure members are following wellness center rules and policies at all times.
- Follow up with members with whom you have met with to monitor their health and wellness goals and facility usage. Be able to work as a team member, assisting fellow staff when necessary. Keep track of clients’ progress through periodic assessment and/or feedback.
- Keep track of appointments on tracking sheets and submit bi-weekly. Attend all scheduled staff meetings and trainings. Participate in wellness and Y community events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relationships: Builds rapport and relates well to others
- Inclusion: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Innovation: Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
- Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Self-Development: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.