Careers at the Y
Part-Time Position with Full Time Opportunity
Learn, Grow and Thrive with a career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Head Lifeguard plans, organizes and assists in leading day to day programs and activities of the aquatic facility within the Nashua and Merrimack aquatics departments. The Head Lifeguard is expected to provide leadership, and oversight for various YMCA and community service programs. This position should expect to have 35-40 hours lifeguarding, teaching and leading classes as well as some administrative time, if applicable, as deemed appropriate by his/her supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
The Head Lifeguard must be able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. Candidates should bring to this position the appropriate background of education and experience to contribute and carryout the Association’s goals. Remain current in required and voluntary training in order to promote growth of mind and spirit and character values for all.
Schedule is based on pool activities and staffing needs to best serve our YMCA members.
- Minimum age of 18
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid
- Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding
- Current YMCA Swim Lesson certification preferred.
- Ability to maintain certification- level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA or Red Cross standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements necessary for removal from water rescues.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility. Candidates who use corrective eyewear should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, clear, or retrieve corrective eyewear.
- Provide excellent member service by exceeding member expectations.
- Direct service of lifeguard or swim instructing for at least 35-40 hours a week.
- Help the aquatics directors with onboarding of new lifeguards and swim instructors.
- Provide coaching and feedback to aquatic staff team to ensure highest quality results.
- Assist swim instructors to ensure classes begin and end on time, attendance is recorded and skills are assessed and level slips/progress reports are distributed.
- Assist the aquatics directors in the inputting of swim lessons, lap lane reservations, and incident reports.
- Helps to plan and facilitate staff trainings at in-services.
- Ensure daily pool maintenance and cleaning responsibilities are accomplished and accurately recorded including but not limited to bather load, chemical reading logs, opening/closing procedures, cleaning checklists.
- Assist with changes to aquatic policies and procedures as deemed appropriate by the Aquatics Directors.
- Other duties as assigned by Aquatics Directors.
- Relationships: Builds rapport and relates well to others
- Inclusion: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Innovation: Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
- Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Self-Development: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.