Careers at the Y
Group Exercise/Fitness Instructor
This position includes an individual membership to all YMCA of Greater Nashua branches!
LEARN, GROW AND THRIVE WITH A CAREER AT THE Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Health & Wellness – Group Exercise, Group Exercise Instructors will instruct group exercise and specialty classes that ensure that the highest standards of safety, quality and service are provided at all times. Instructors must foster an enjoyable and positive environment that promotes wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. The Group Exercise Instructors at the YMCA of Greater Nashua serve others by intentionally welcoming, connecting, and supporting them.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Current Red Cross First Aid and Adult CPR/AED certification
- Must hold and maintain Group Exercise or Personal Training certification from a nationally recognized source (ACSM, ACE, NASM, AFAA)
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Commitment to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position, including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting
- This individual must be able to provide physical activity options that promote health and well-being for a wide range people based on their abilities and interests.
- Bring to this position experience in wellness, personal training, and/or group exercise while possessing the skills necessary to listen to, understand and communicate with members ranging from a beginner to the more advanced participant.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changed situations are essential in this position.
- Warmly and enthusiastically greet members through eye contact and with a smile. Anticipate their needs and approach them before they approach you whenever possible.
- Personalize relationship with members by introducing yourself and asking the name of each member with whom you come into contact. Make a point of remembering members’ names and use them frequently.
- When the opportunity arises, introduce members to other members or to fellow staff.
- Educate yourself on Y programs outside the wellness center, so you are better able to help answer members’ questions. If questions arise to which you do not know the answer, make sure you are able to point them in the right direction for assistance.
- Respond to all inquiries and complaints in a timely and courteous manner.
- Engage with members in a way that they feel welcomed and connected to the Y.
- Keep accurate class attendance records.
- Arrive early, prepare equipment, introduce yourself as the instructor and make yourself available before or after the class for member questions.
- Be able to work as a team member, assisting fellow staff when necessary.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relationships: Builds rapport and relates well to others
- Inclusion: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Innovation: Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
- Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Self-Development: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.