Careers at the Y
Director of Wellness - Nashua YMCA
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Member Experience, the Director of Wellness is responsible for enhancing the member experience by developing innovative programs, fostering small group communities and creating opportunities focused on developing a sense of belonging, ownership and community among our Y members. This position directly manages the Wellness Center for the Nashua branch.
The YMCA of Greater Nashua operates four facilities: Nashua YMCA, Merrimack YMCA, Westwood Park YMCA and YMCA Camp Sargent (day camp).
The Director of Wellness will further the cause of strengthening community by helping members meet their personal health and wellness goals through innovative programming, being a part of a supportive environment, and connecting to others. This work will lead to improved overall member retention, new member retention, and overall mental health and well being metrics.
- Oversee and lead all aspects of health and wellness for the branch including, but not limited to personal/functional training, wellness floor management, wellness orientations, individual and group wellness programming with a focus on connection and small community team building.
- Create and build a culture of achievement, relationship and belonging among staff and members at the Nashua Branch involved in all aspects of the Wellness Department and beyond.
- Grow personal/small group training program for the Nashua Branch- serving members of all ages.
- Recruit, build, and lead a team of instructors, trainers and wellness floor representatives for for the branch- including recruitment, hiring, onboarding with a focus on achievement, belonging and connection. Provide ongoing feedback on performance.
- Provide feedback and work collaboratively with the Group Exercise Coordinator to build a robust schedule of free group exercise offerings for the branch- using class attendance, member feedback and industry trends.
- Hold regular department staff meetings to train, coach, and provide updates and brainstorming on branch initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with the Health and Wellness Leadership Team to ensure consistent, quality, experiences, services and program delivery for the Nashua branch.
- Work with the Nashua Branch Leadership team to ensure a high level of customer service and seemless member experience across all branch operations.
- Partners with marketing and communications department to ensure effective promotion and visibility of all program areas.
- Nurture deepening connections and involvement, helping members find meaningful activities that help them learn, grow and thrive.
- Develop and manage quarterly member incentives designed to keep members engaged, help them accomplish goals, and connect them to others.
- Create and manage a New Member Engagement program designed to meet the individual goals and needs of new members.
- Work with local businesses, non-profit organizations, municipalities, and community groups to seek out ways of improving the health of our community.
- Using Listen First skills, create an environment that encourages people to get involved in programs, volunteerism, and philanthropy, helping members become advocates of the Y’s cause of strengthening community.
- Maintain wellness equipment and facilities including maintenance and cleanliness.
- Work closely with the Director of Healthy Living to ensure proper support for chronic disease prevention programming.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changed situations are essential in this position.
- Develop and manage department budget. Demonstrate sound fiscal management skills and meet the monthly financial goals established for the department.
- Ensure safety and maintenance of facility and equipment to minimize risk to members, participants and Association.
- Meet other demands as needed and communicated by the Executive Director of Member Experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience with certifications in ACE, AFAA, ACSM or CSCS in wellness.
- Minimum of two years or more related work experience in Health and Wellness, including strong supervisory, program development and budget management.
- Track record of successfully meeting/exceeding enrollment and financial goals in the health and wellness industry.
- Prior experience developing, building, and strengthening successful relationships.
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple, complex projects independently.
- Must possess skills and knowledge in the development and implementation of a wide range of wellness classes and activities, budgeting, hiring, training and supervision of staff and volunteers.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure guides.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees, members, and community partners.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to listen to increase understanding and interest.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device.
- The employee frequently is required to sit or stand for extended periods of time, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and handle oneself professionally during difficult situations.
- Must be able to conduct presentations in front of groups of people.
- Must have transportation available to visit all branch locations.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Relationships:Builds rapport and relates well to others
- Inclusion:Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Innovation:Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
- Quality Results:Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Self-Development:Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.