Careers at the Y
Developmental Swim Coach
Under the direction of the Head Coach, the Developmental Swim Coach will assist and guide the YMCA of Greater Nashua’s STORM swim team, year-round competitive swim program by providing leadership, coaching and mentoring for student-athletes in our service area. STORM is a highly respected team for its ability to develop national level swimmers as well as a fun and welcoming environment for all. STORM has approximately 150 swimmers and utilizes 2 YMCA pools as well as other community pools as needed. The Developmental Swim Coach will exemplify the core values and mission of the YMCA to create a sense of camaraderie and connection and use marketing strategies to grow enrollment in the winter and summer teams. Under the direction of and in collaboration with the Head Coach, the Developmental Swim Coach will oversee and implement the objectives and vision of the Storm Swim Team Development program. The Development Coach will assist with the day to day operation of the team as a whole, including logistics and administrative tasks in practices events and competitions.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
We provide our full-time staff with comprehensive medical and dental, generous paid time off, free family YMCA membership, EAP programs, discounted classes and team sports. The YMCA also offers a 12% retirement contribution after two years of qualified service!
OUR CULTURE: LEARN, GROW AND THRIVE WITH A CAREER AT THE Y
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. At the YMCA of Greater Nashua it’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day.
- We are cause-driven: We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality.
- We are hopeful: We believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential.
- We are determined: Above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The Developmental Swim Coach must be able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. Candidates should bring to this position the appropriate background of education and experience to contribute and carryout the Association’s goals. Remain current in required and voluntary training in order to promote growth of mind and spirit and character values for all.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- At least 1-3 years’ experience coaching competitive swimming, training and competition in a YMCA and/or USA Swimming program.
- Must currently be certified in First Aid, CPR and Swim Coaches Safety Training. Other preferred certifications include YMCA/Red Cross Lifeguard, Principals of YMCA Competitive Swimming and Diving, USA Swimming Foundations of Coaching, and Concussion Protocol Certification. Some may be required to attain after date of hire.
- Ability to assess swimmer’s capabilities and promise and develop training plans to meet the needs of individual swimmers
- A passion for building a team and for helping swimmers, volunteers, and families feel like they are part of something special.
- Proficiency in HyTek software (Team/Meet Manager) and Team Unify. Experience in Daxko Operations is preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication.
- Bilingual a plus.
- Assisting with leadership and vision for the YMCA of Greater Nashua STORM swim program including registration, practice schedules, training plans, meet management, record keeping, billing, communication and more.
- Assisting with compliance with all YMCA Aquatics Safety protocols as well as USA Swimming guidelines and safety protocols. Work with Aquatics Directors to ensure facilities are safe for all swimmers.
- Ensure that swimmers of all levels feel welcomed, supportive and moving towards their individual and team goals by:
- Supporting and evaluating an outstanding team of assistant coaches that are committed to the growth and development of all swimmers. Support coaches with training plan development.
- Supporting positive teaching techniques amongst coaching staff to ensure the progression of each swimmer.
- Maintain accurate records of each swimmer to track progress, celebrate successes and set goals.
- Lead by example by being at all assigned practices and swim meets unless otherwise communicated with the Head Coach.
- Create a fun and spirited atmosphere through social events, theme nights, team celebrations and more.
- Assist with development and nurture volunteer opportunities for parents to support the work of the team in the areas of overall management, registration, travel, communications and more. Work with Volunteer Coordinator to ensure all volunteers are property vetted, tracked and celebrated throughout the year.
- Be a world class communicator! Ensure that all key stakeholders, including but not limited to parents, swimmers, coaches, volunteers, supervisors, co-workers, other swim teams and YMCA leadership are communicated with in a timely and effective manner. Responds to all member and community inquiries and update swimmers and parents on performance statistics.
- Make effective use of software resources such as TeamUnify, Daxko Operations and Daxko Engage to manage daily operations, ensure easy and seamless registration for the team and meets and to communicate regularly with stakeholders. Use those tools to ensure all deadlines for meet entries are met.
WORKING AND PHYSICAL CONDITIONS
- Ability to work more than a 40 hour work week at times with irregular work hours including early mornings, evenings and weekends. Schedule is based on pool activities and staffing needs to best serve our YMCA members.
- Some overnight travel may be required for National and Regional events.
- Abilty to walk, stand and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (TEAM LEADER)
- Values: Demonstrates in words and actions the Y’s values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission at all times.
- Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
- Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment
- Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the services of enhancing individual and team peformance to support the Y’s work
- Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.