Careers at the Y
Daytime Lifeguard - Merrimack YMCA/Nashua YMCA
DAYTIME LIFEGUARD SHIFTS AVAILABLE: Monday-Friday: 4:45am-8:00am, 8:00am-12:00pm and 12:00-3:00pm
Learn, Grow and Thrive with a career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
Under the direct supervision of the Aquatics Coordinator, the lifeguard is to provide the safest possible environment for YMCA members and participants in the pool area.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
Lifeguards must have the ability to recognize a hazardous situation. They must be able to supervise swimmers, minimize dangers, educate members about water safety, enforce rules and regulations, prepare records and reports, and give assistance whenever needed.
- Minimum age of 16
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid
- Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding
- Oxygen Administration certification (required within 30 days of hire)
- Ability to maintain certification- level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA or Red Cross standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements necessary for removal from water rescues.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility. Candidates who use corrective eyewear should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, clear, or retrieve corrective eyewear.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Takes responsibility for implementing and supporting the change of policies and procedures.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and state/local Health Department code, including but not limited to: chemical testing, bather loads, accident reports.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed; this includes rescue equipment and well stocked fanny packs and first aid kits.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Be properly dressed and on deck ready to work 10 minutes prior to scheduled start time.
- Responsible for punching in/out for each assigned shift.
- Responsible to keep certifications current. Notify supervisor when they need to be recertified.
- Responsible for securing substitutes to cover scheduled shifts in the case of an absence and document/report coverage to supervisor.
- Inform members and program participants in a professional manner.
- Uses/carries proper equipment at all times (rescue tube, fanny pack with pocket mask and gloves, and whistle).
- Responsible for all information in the Aquatic Manual.
- Adequately react and responds to emergencies or skill audits.
- Ensure the pool is always secure. Wait until properly relieved or the pool is cleared and then follow lockup procedure. Never leave the pool unlocked or unattended.
- Attends all staff meetings and training as required
- Perform other appropriate duties asked by management.
- Relationships: Builds rapport and relates well to others
- Inclusion: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Innovation: Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
- Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Self-Development: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.