Careers at the Y
LEARN, GROW AND THRIVE WITH A CAREER AT THE YMCA
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of Youth Development, the Aquatics Director plans, organizes and supervises day to day programs and activities of the aquatic facility within the Nashua Branch. The Aquatics Director is expected to provide leadership, and oversight for various YMCA and community service programs. This position should expect to have some time lifeguarding, teaching and leading classes as well as administrative time, as deemed appropriate by their supervisor.
OUR CULTURE: LEARN, GROW AND THRIVE WITH A CAREER AT THE Y
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. At the YMCA of Greater Nashua it’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day.
We are cause-driven: We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality.
We are hopeful: We believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential.
We are determined: Above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The Aquatics Director must be able to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. Candidates should bring to this position the appropriate background of education and experience to contribute and carryout the Association’s goals. Remain current in required and voluntary training in order to promote growth of mind and spirit and character values for all.
- Minimum age of 21
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid
- Continue to work towards YMCA Leadership Certification
- Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding
- Current YMCA Swim Lesson certification preferred
- Current Pool Operator certification preferred
- YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certification preferred
- Oxygen Administration certification (required within 30 days of hire)
- Ability to maintain certification- level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA or Red Cross standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Meet strength and lifting requirements necessary for removal from water rescues.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility. Candidates who use corrective eyewear should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, clear, or retrieve corrective eyewear.
- Provide excellent member service by building relationships with members and understanding their goals.
- Recruit, hire and train lifeguards and swim instructors and volunteers. Assure that they have the resources and feedback to complete all required training timely to perform their job. This includes successfully onboarding staff with all Child Abuse Prevention training.
- Responsible for all schedules including the pool, lifeguard, instructor and lesson schedules are accurate and up to date and have been effectively communicated to all parties.
- Responsible for accurate payroll.
- Complete annual performance reviews of Nashua Aquatics staff.
- Ensure lifeguard staff have proper equipment at all times and in good working order (i.e. rescue tube, fanny pack with mask, gloves, uniform and whistle).
- Ensure daily pool maintenance and cleaning responsibilities are accomplished and accurately recorded including but not limited to bather load, chemical reading logs, opening/closing procedures, cleaning checklists.
- Assist swim instructors to ensure classes begin and end on time, attendance is recorded and skills are assessed and level slips/progress reports are distributed.
- Ensure profitable class enrollment and class sizes within the ratios set forth by the YMCA of the USA. This may include responsibilities such as adding, merging or removing classes from our swim lesson schedule with approval.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (TEAM LEADER)
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with commitment to improving lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides other with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.
Stay up to date on what's happening in your community! Subscribe to our blog for events, announcements, and stories.